- Population: 145,862
- Median home price: $225,000
- College perk: You can buy the work of up-and-coming artists and designers at the Savannah College of Art and Design’s retail store. Free tuition for residents 62 and older at Savannah State University and the Armstrong Campus of Georgia Southern University.
- Features: Arts, film, fashion, botanical scenery, notable seafood restaurants, Savannah Film Festival, one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts, Georgia History Festival, Super Museum Sunday, beautiful parks, Tybee Island’s South Beach, The Landings golf community, Effingham Health System, no state income tax for Social Security benefits.
- Link: https://www.visitsavannah.com/
- Population: 228,783
- Median home price: $258,000
- College perk: Retirees can join Virginia Commonwealth University’s Commonwealth Society for short courses, lecture series, and travel opportunities.
- Features: W.E. Singleton Center for the Performing Arts, Institute for Contemporary Arts, Modlin Center for the Arts, Altria Theater, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Virginia Science Museum, Black History Museum, Elegba Folklore Society, Virginia Holocaust Museum, James River, pedestrian bridge at Belle Isle, Virginia Capital Trail, many restaurants providing plenty of ethnic culinary options, Richmond Beer Trail, shopping, no state income tax on Social Security benefits.
- Link: http://www.richmondgov.com/common/Visitors.aspx
- Population: 73,964
- Median home price: $362,000
- College perk: Northern Arizona University works with retiree volunteers to partner with the city’s dozens of nonprofits.
- Features: San Francisco Peaks, Ponderosa pine trees, top-tier dining, award-winning craft beers, Flagstaff Medical Center, bicycle-friendly community, skiing, Grand Canyon (90 minutes away), concerts, no state income tax for Social Security benefits, hiking trails.
- Link: https://www.flagstaffarizona.org/
- Population: 36,478
- Median home price: $719,000
- College perk: Claremont Avenues for Lifelong Learning allows people aged 60 and older to audit college courses at seven colleges for free.
- Features: Art shows, live performances, many independently-owned businesses and restaurants in the downtown area, Claremont Farmers and Artisans Market, Claremont Pie Festival, Halloween Spooktacular, 23 parks, Claremont Hills Wildness Park, San Gabriel Mountains, Angeles National Forest, hiking trails, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, consistently sunny weather, Metrolink train system, Chino Valley Medical Center, Glendora Community Hospital, retirement communities, Pilgrim Place Festival, no state income tax for Social Security benefits.
- Link: https://www.ci.claremont.ca.us/
While this isn’t a comprehensive list, these are great cities for retirees based on the mentioned considerations. The “relaxing” part of retirement is more fun to think about of course, but equally important is determining how to finance your retirement. Strittmatter Wealth Management Group offers retirement workshops to Lockheed Martin employees and others interested in learning about the ins and outs of saving for retirement and spending in retirement. Sign up for a workshop or book an appointment with a Lockheed Martin Retirement Specialist!
For more tips like these, click here to sign up for our weekly email blog newsletter. If you would like to get better educated on Lockheed retirement strategies, click here to download our Free Report titled Retire with Confidence: The Top 4 Things You Can Do Now to Maximize your Lockheed Retirement. And, if you want to have face time with a Lockheed Retirement Specialist², you can click here to schedule an appointment, click here to sign up for our Lockheed Retirement Workshop or click here to just give us a call (817) 210-3444.
Be sure and check back next week for more incredibly valuable information. Cheers!
Financial Planning and Investment Advisory offered by SWMG, LLC a Registered Investment Advisor.
Lockheed Martin Retirement Specialist is not an official title or professional designation nor is it conferred by Lockheed Martin on any individual or company.
Our Complementary consultation and free report are for informational purposes only and provided free without any obligation to utilize or retain our investment advisory services.
SMWG, LLC is not affiliated with or endorsed by Lockheed Martin Corporation. Our expertise comes from working with LMT employees for several years and helping them to retire with confidence.
Investing involves the risk of loss, including loss of principal. Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investment products are not FDIC insured, have no bank guarantee, and may gain or lose value. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that any specific investment will be profitable for a client’s investment portfolio.